Sunday, February 26, 2012

New Throttle Cable, Finally

Our throttle cable has always been a mess; not sure how it lasted endurance 3 races.


I tried to Tap-and-Dye the end of the new throttle cable so i could positively hold it in the Weber DGV Carb attachment bracket, but I positively failed to thread it. I reek with a tap and dye set, leaving a swath of destruction in my wake whenever I attempt it. I decided to quit while I still had a functioning cable and purchase (with actual money!) a proper cable end/attach/adjuster bit.

Both bike shops in Mt. Airy were closed on Sunday, so I resorted to raiding my backyard stash of old Ten-Speed bikes I had been stockpiling to make my Baltimore Kinetic Sculpture Race vehicle. Below is the victim, and the two pieces it donated:



The Cable Adjuster needed to be drilled out a bit so the new throttle cable end would fit, here you can see the nice shiny newly drilled inside, and below that the end of the new throttle cable:


Here is the final setup, with much improved throttle feel, less cable wear, less cable-falling-out-of-bracket-and-getting-throttle-stuck-at-wide-open-SCOT!, less badness overall.


Yeah us. Maybe we'll finish a few damn laps this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment